Cordless power tools have become the preferred choice among busy construction workers who may be employing the same power tool for several hours each day. When employing a cordless tool, there are many benefits that cordless varieties can provide:
– Extra Battery Life. Most cordless power tools carry two AA batteries with similar capacities. This allows the use of these tools to last for an extended period of time. However, batteries do have a downside when it comes to extended usage. As batteries charge up, they begin to emit smoke and if not properly maintained, batteries may well not last through a project.
– Lightweight Design. Most cordless tools are lightweight to allow for ease of transportation. These tools can also be used easily even by inexperienced users. They also produce less noise and heat, which are important concerns for some people. Cordless batteries have smaller batteries and produce less smoke and sparks than their rechargeable cousins.
– Protection from Discharge. Many cordless power tools come with a protection switch that prevents the battery from being immediately discharged if accidentally dropped on a hard surface. This protection switch is generally located in the handgrip area, near the base of the tool. However, you should check your tool’s manufacturer’s instructions to ensure that your model has this feature.
– Durable and Longer Battery Life. Due to the low cost of batteries and the protection offered by most brands, most cordless power tools have a life span of about five hundred hours or more. Some models last up to eight hundred hours. While a longer life span may seem like a good thing, remember that a single cord can support an armful of these tools. Therefore, a single unit could support quite a load over time.
– High Speed Electric Motors. The best brands use high speed electric motors to prevent excessive wear and tear on the tools. Many of the best brands use brushless motors, which are much smaller and more powerful than their AC motor cousins. In addition, they are much safer and easier to maintain. The motors do not get overheated and they do not produce excessive wear and tear.
– Better torque and speed. One of the features you will find in most cordless power tools is an extra strong and efficient transmission. Some of the transmission parts are encased within the handle or are part of the handle itself. These parts help provide enhanced torque and speed, especially when drilling. Many drill drivers today actually use the transmission as an additional source of power, allowing the drill to double its power.
– Higher voltage output. Some cordless power tools use a bipolar or linear motor control, which can operate at a higher voltage than the corded models. This can make for faster speeds and greater torque. If you don’t need the extra juice, a cordless model with a low voltage output may be your best bet.
– Better battery life. Because many cordless power tools are run using a battery, their life will generally be much longer than a powered tool that uses a rechargeable power source. When choosing a battery source, it’s important to choose one that has a good life and is not too expensive. You may also want to consider buying a tool that allows you to charge other devices while the tool is in use.
– Safety features. Many cordless power tools have safety mechanisms in place to prevent injuries from contact with power cords and other materials. Some come with auto shut off capabilities, so they automatically stop when they’re not being used, such as in the garage or outdoors. Others have manual shut off capabilities, so you can also decide whether to manually shut off the tool if it is in use.
As you can see, there are some advantages and disadvantages of using cordless power tools. Obviously, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. However, you need to look at the cons as well. Many of these disadvantages can be avoided by purchasing a product with an all in one cord.
There are a number of cordless power tools on the market today. Before you buy one, it’s a good idea to do a little research. Make sure you find a quality product with no defects. If you follow the tips above, you should have few issues with your purchase.
Matrix Tools offers a range of German engineered power and cordless power tools. Get in touch with us for a free quote.